Is a Urogynecologist the Same as a Female Urologist?

dreamstime_s_42368574Not every urological or pelvic condition is treated by both urogynecologists and female urologists. Sometimes, you’ll need to visit just one specialist in order to receive a diagnosis and treatment plan.

What is a urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is a physician who has undergone specific education and training in order to be a sub-specialist in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, which is the official board certification for urogynecology. He or she is able to provide care for women experiencing complex pelvic conditions, including pelvic floor dysfunction and urinary tract disorders. A urogynecologist is also a trained surgeon.

What is a female urologist?

Female urologists are trained to treat issues relating specifically to a woman’s urinary tract. A female urologist’s focus of study is on the genitourinary system, which consists of the bladder, kidneys, ureters and urethra. There is some crossover between a female urologist and a urogynecologist; however, a female urologist may not be able to treat pelvic floor concerns like a urogynecologist can.

Examples of urinary tract issues:

  • Urinary incontinence
  • Leaking
  • Frequent urges to “go”
  • Painful urination
  • Blood in urine

Examples of pelvic floor issues:

  • Pelvic prolapse
  • Pelvic pain
  • Painful intercourse
  • Fistulas
  • Uterine fibroids

If you are unsure whether your health concern is best suited for a urogynecologist or a female urologist, please contact the Urogynecology Center of San Francisco (UGCSF) in order to discuss your symptoms and to determine whether a consultation is needed with a doctor of either specialty.

If you are interested in learning more about common urogynecological issues, we invite you to read more about common pelvic floor and urology issues: